Monday, February 11, 2013

Pope Benedict XVI Resigns Due To ill Health



Benedict XVI, 85, will resign his duties as head of the Catholic Church due to his age.
The Pontifex said this morning that his decision came after he “repeatedly examined my conscience before God”.
Benedict, who has been Pope since 2005, added: "I have come to the certainty that my strengths due to an advanced age are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.
"I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only by words and deeds but no less with prayer and suffering."
The Holy Father who was born Joseph Ratzinger in Bavaria, Germany admitted he was struggling to keep up with today’s world, which is "subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith".
He said: "Both strength of mind and body are necessary strengths, which in the last few months have deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me."
A Vatican spokesman said the Pope will step down on February 28th.
Benedict also said he "fully understands the gravity" of quitting.
The last Pope to resign was Gregory XII in 1415.
Last night, tweeting from his @pontifex Twitter account, he wrote: "We must trust in the mighty power of God’s mercy. We are all sinners, but His grace transforms us and makes us new."

No comments:

Post a Comment